Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
It's Milking Time
As the sun sets over the fields, a little girl and her father begin the evening milking. The girls gathers the cows—a "Holstein parade"—and guides them to the barn. Father and daughter work side by side, pulling up the grain for feeding, fanning out beds of straw, and hooking up the milkers. In the corner pen, the girl feeds the calves all by herself. Soon they've filled milk can after milk can for the creamery truck that will arrive in the morning. The fresh dairy product isn't just for them—other families will buy their milk, butter, and cheese at stores and farmers markets near and far, connecting the little girl's farm to the world beyond.
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Whipping Butter into Shape
- The Ultimate Efficient Recycler
- Milk or Meat? Beef or Dairy?
- It's a MOO-stery! (Grades K-2)
- It's a MOO-stery! (Grades 3-5)
- FoodMASTER: Milk and Cheese
- Farm Animal Life Cycles
- Energy's Journey from Farm to You
- Cowabunga! All About Dairy Breeds
- A Day Without Dairy
- Animals on the Farm