2023 MAITC Summer Teachers Institue
July 31 – August 4, 2023
University of Maine, Presque Isle
- Curriculum sessions focused on Local Agriculture and Aquaculture, Food, Nutrition, Bees and Pollination and much more. Online and hard-copy resources provided and explored.
- Hands-on activities modeled with teachers/for teachers.
- Lessons and activities aligned with Common Core Standards, Maine Learning Results and Next Gen. Science Standards.
- Classroom instruction will be meaningful for Pre-K to 12th grade teachers, volunteers, and educators.
- All participants will leave with armloads of materials, megabytes of technology, and new partnerships and ideas for integrating agriculture into your classes.
- Teachers will tour Agriculture research facilities, farms, processors, and learn about the Food and Agriculture program in the largest county east of the Mississippi!
- Teachers will learn about locally grown foods and their impact on the Maine Economy, applications in science and opportunities to integrate all this into their core curriculum.
- Classroom lessons and activities will showcase the MAITC lesson site, AND the National Agriculture in the Classroom Curriculum Matrix.
At this Educator’s workshop, participants will receive 28 contact hours or 2.8 CEU's from the University of Maine for re-certification credit.
The cost of this training will only be $200 per participant before July 15th ($450+ value), and $250 after this date, (Space permitting) which includes lodging, travel, and meals for up to 35 educators for the 5 days. Monday & Friday will be travel days.
Scholarships are also available for Maine teachers – apply by email to email@example.com.
Due to the already discounted price, there will be no change in cost for educators wishing to commute. Sessions will start at 8:00 AM each morning and there will be (fun and exciting) programming into the evening hours.
Agenda at a Glance
- Monday, July 31st – Travel to Presque Isle – Move in, Dinner and Orientation
- Tuesday, August 1st – 8:00 AM Start, Campus resources, Curriculum and meals on campus
- Wednesday, August 2nd – Bus Tour of Aroostook County
- Thursday, August 3rd – Bus Tour Continues – wrap up at Northern Maine Fair – FFA hosts
- Friday, August 4th – Breakfast and wrap up on Campus with afternoon to Travel home